Saturday, September 8, 2012

Living in Sin

 I've been thinking a lot lately about the ability of someone to live a kinky lifestyle full time and what exactly that would entail. Does living the lifestyle mean that you have a flogger on your keychain or a t-shirt? " I was suspended by my hair and all I got was this prickly shirt."

How much is too much to share?  Having been a lesbian most of my life, I've grown accustomed to be unapologetic for my sexual partners. I have no qualms with hand holding or reasonable displays of affection. It isn't the first thing I tell people but I don't avoid the subject either. The way that I see it is that I have as much of a right to be here as everyone else, so if they are uncomfortable with me consoling my girlfriend around their children, they can go somewhere else. Lately being gay is less of the fad it once was and is more commonplace, which is a great thing. I suppose kink is becoming the same way with books like Fifty Shades of Grey polluting the shelves. Does that mean the same rules apply? Can I be that personal with my introductions?

"Hi I'm Emily, I enjoy long walks on the beach, being beaten with a barbed flogger, and rope burns. Nice to meet you."

Do I treat it the same way as the lesbian thing, that is to say not mention it but don't lie about it? I don't think I should have to divide my life into a vanilla life and a "wasabe lavender with chunks of glass" as my  partner affectionately calls me. It shouldn't be all people see when they look at me though either. I have been treating it like its no big deal, but sometimes it embarrasses me to discuss and I'm not sure why.

Is it ok to talk about in conversation?


No comments:

Post a Comment